Pastor Geoff exposits Isaiah 37:1-13 in this sermon when Sennacherib sends the Rabshakeh to Jerusalem to threaten and blaspheme Hezekiah and Yahweh
Isa 36 is the SITUATION
Isa 37 is the REACTION
In this section, we see 3 responses we must have for our good and for God's great glory when enemies attack and difficult times invade:
1. SEEK YOUR GOD!
2. STAND ON GOD'S PROMISES!
3. STRENGTHEN YOUR HEART!
"Spiritual Dullness & Hard-Heartedness: What To Do About It"
This sermon covers the rest of Isaiah 37 - as God declares that he will protect Jerusalem, Hezekiah, his people and he reveals the absolute heinousness of pride.
This sermon brings out 5 theological lessons for us:
1. God hears & answers your prayers (21)
2. God knows & will justly repay all sins (22-29)
3. God makes promises & provides for His people (30-32a)
4. God's zeal & passion is for His own glory (32-35)
5. God destroys & effortlessly crushes all enemies (36-38)
In this sermon, Pastor Geoff preaches a gospel message to prepare the flock for communing with Christ in the Lord's Supper.
2 TIm 1.9 teaches that GOD SAVES SINNERS. Here are 6 descriptive clauses:
1. By a sovereign, effectual call.
2. Not according to your works
3. According to His sovereign purpose.
4. According to His sovereign grace
5. By uniting you to Jesus Christ
6. From all eternity, God decreed it.
As pastor Geoff preaches through this chapter, we understand it in a few headings:
1. God's declaration - you're gonna die (1)
2. Hezekiah's desperation - I've been whole (2-8)
3. Hezekiah's reflection - I'm a mortal man (9-20)
4. God's intervention - You'll recover (21-22)
How does Christ encourage the staggering faith of the disciples? After speaking of his death, the disciples are baffled and confused. So what does Jesus do and how does he comfort them?
1. the Savior PROMISES his glory
2. the Savior UNVEILS his glory
3. the Savior is AFFIRMED in his glory
4. the Savior SUFFERS before his glory
From the Mount of Transfiguration now we descend to the mess in the valley. The 9 disciples have failed to cast out a demon from a boy. A desperate father comes to Jesus and tells the story (in detail) and Jesus will cast out the demon.
The disciples were over confident and did not pray (and fast); nor did they have great faith (cf. Matt 17).
In this sermon, our savior prophecies about His mission to suffer & die and He reveals the details in 3 ways that all speak of what the Savior did for you.
1. Your Savior was HANDED OVER for you.
2. Your Savior was CRUCIFIED for you.
3. Your Savior was RAISED for you.