Pastor Geoff preaches the portion of the Roman Trials when Christ Jesus stands before Herod Antipas. Herod questions Jesus and after Jesus remains silent, Herod turns to mocking, jeering, and contemptuous behavior toward Christ, the King.
This sermon provides 4 features to see in this narrative.
"The Heart of the Saving Gospel: How to Be Righteous Before God!"
Pastor Geoff preaches the very heart of the gospel from Philippians 3:9 -- how can a man be JUST (=righteous) before God?
5 affirmations of this only saving message.
1. You are Found IN CHRIST Â (and may be found in Him...)
2. You RENOUNCE all Self-Righteousness Â (not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law)
3. You gain CHRIST's Righteousness Â (but that which is through faith IN CHRIST)
4. You Passively Receive it From God Â (the righteousness which comes FROM GOD...)
5. You Receive It By Faith Alone Â (on the basis of faith...)
"How Does a Man of God Respond in Times of Spiritual Decay?"
Pastor Geoff preaches on Philippians 3:7-8 on the verses that Paul says that everything that he had gained (earned) in his own self-righteousness he now considers to be loss -- indeed, he calls it "rubbish/dung!"
There's something far greater that every child of God receives -- the knowledge of Jesus Christ the LORD.
"Jesus Christ: The Sovereign Judge Subjected to Sinful, Unjust Judges"
Pastor Geoff preaches through this final phase of the Jewish trials of Jesus Christ. It is just after daybreak, probably about 5 or 6AM and Jesus is now brought before the Council (=Sanhedrin, 71 Jewish 'Supreme Court' leaders) and they will put Jesus on trial so as to attain a charge to then take Him to Pilate.
This message covers the trial of Christ. It also surveys the unjust accusations that He faced. This message reveals how we can face unjust and unfair times of suffering/accusations as well.
Pastor Geoff preaches on Mark 3 on the "eternal sin" in the open air in St Louis, MO. Shortly after the sermon begins, an angry man yells right in front of the preacher for nearly the entire sermon!
The Word of God goes forth boldly that ALL sins will be forgiven except the sin of unbelief.
"A Pastor: A Defender and a Declarer of the Truth!"
Pastor Geoff preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ -- the heart of Pauline theology -- as Philippians 3:3-6 reveals two very different ways of life --- trusting in Christ or trusting in credentials.
Verse 3 reveals trust in Christ alone as those who are the "true circumcision" (of the heart). Verses 4-6 shows Paul's list of credentials where he shows the magnitude of his religiosity and how it is all unable to add to or contribute to his saving in any way whatsoever.
Salvation is found by faith alone in Jesus Christ alone.
"Peter Denies His Lord: The Danger of Following Jesus at a Distance"
Pastor Geoff leads the congregation through the events that transpire in the middle of the night as Jesus is tried before Caiaphas and Peter is, at the same time, outside in the courtyard -- where he will deny his Savior on three different occasions.
The events will be laid out under three headings as we go back to this scene and observe the denials of Peter and as we learn from this episode so we can walk closely with Christ, by God's grace, and for His glory.
PODCAST - The First Minute of Preaching...
1. Should GRIP the hearer's attention.
2. Should CONVEY the weightiness of the divine truth at hand.
3. Should POINT TO & prepare for the TRUTH to be delivered.
4. Should ENGAGE w/ the audience thru eye contact.
Pastor Geoff pleads with the hearers to NOT be a false disciples -- to not be a 'Judas'.
*what marked Judas?
1. Judas was WITH JESUS --- but he's now in hell
2. Judas hung with the RIGHT CROWD --- but he's now in hell
3. Judas was CALLED INTO MINISTRY --- but he's now in hell
4. Judas was A PREACHER OF THE GOSPEL -- but he's now in hell
5. Judas saw FRUIT FROM HIS GOSPEL LABORS --- but he's now in hell
6. Judas was an WITNESS OF CHRIST'S WORKS --- but he's now in hell
7. Judas was outwardly a CHRIST-FOLLOWER --- but he's now in hell
Pastor Geoff continues the verse-by-verse exposition of the Gospel of Luke and paints a full picture of this betrayal-event. All four gospels are brought together and harmonized in this sermon.
Judas is the prime example of a false disciple. What a tragedy!
What a Savior -- the Light of the world -- rejected by the world but come to seek and save that which was lost!
Pastor Geoff teaches on the type of depression often called "a-typical depression" -- and he defines what it is and provides biblical help and counsel for Christians who really find themselves struggling greatly through these times in life.
Pastor Geoff preaches on the Garden of Gethsemane narrative when our Lord agonizes in prayer just hours before the cross.
In the Garden, he pours out His soul to the Father and begs that the "cup" may pass from Him. This message focuses on the glorious Savior that we worship -- he is a suffering Savior, a praying Savior, a compassionate Savior, and a praiseworthy Savior!
And he drank the cup -- the cup of God's almighty wrath -- for His people. He quenched God's thunderous wrath aimed at sinners! He took it all for us!
Consider this text and rest in God's great love for His people!
Pastor Geoff provides biblical counseling to those who find themselves battling postpartum depression.
5 encouragements to mothers:
you can feel disconnected, hard to concentrate, tired/weary/weak, sad, not bonding with baby, feel overwhelmed.
1. CHILDBEARING is designed by God & it's good!
2. CHILDBEARING is a blessing & children are miracles from God & Gifts to us
3. CHILDBEARING comes with pain, travail & hardship as a result of the FALL (not the way God designed it)
4. CHILDBEARING (that is, motherhood) is the greatest privilege that God could ever bestow on a woman w/ child
5. CHILDBEARING is a picture of how GOD deals with His people (Hosea 11.1-4 & 1 Thess 2)
And, here are four words of biblical counseling to women struggling with these hardships:
FOCUS - on gospel, Word, truth, God's character
DEPEND - on God's grace
INVOLVE - in church
DISCIPLESHIP - a godly woman to walk thru this with you (Titus 2)
In this podcast, Pastor Geoff provides biblical counseling help & hope to believers who battle with "psychotic depression."
Here are some of the thoughts he brings out ...
In the IMMEDIATE, see a Dr and get a physical -- see what is going on physiologically.
Then, remind the sufferer of:
The CONSTANT LOVE of Christ (Rom 8 - nothing separate us from Him)
The ULTIMATE PURSUIT of Christ (2 Cor 5 - live to be pleasing to Him)
The COMING CONSUMMATION w/ Christ (2 Cor 5 - we will be brought to Him; likeness to Jesus
The PERFECT EXAMPLE of Christ (Luke 4; tempted by Satan; in the Garden, tempted; Luke 4- Satanic speaking, voices.
Let us always remember - JESUS COMBATTED THE DEVIL'S LIES WITH SCRIPTURAL TRUTH.
So what does that mean for the hurting person? What can be done to find hope in the times of trials?
1) FEAST ON SCRIPTURE
2) MEDITATE ON IT CONSTANTLY
3) PREACH TO YOUR SOUL
4) INITIATE REGULAR DISCIPLESHIP-RELATIONSHIP
5) REMEMBER CHRIST'S COMPLETED WORK (in feelings of worthlessness
"Epaphroditus: A Man who Risked His Life to Serve Christ!"
Pastor Geoff talks about "Seasonal Depression" or "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD).
What is it? What does the Bible say about how believers can cope through it and find hope in God while in it?
What can we do? Is there any hope available?
Pastor Geoff takes us to the Word & then provides 5 concluding words of exhortation to those battling SAD:
In the *SAD* seasons...
Focus on God's UNCHANGING attributes
Prioritize the Daily STUDY of Scripture
Involve yourself in REGULAR church gatherings
Journal How you RESPOND in times of struggle
Anticipate future HEAVEN that's soon-coming
"3 Crucial Lessons for You Concerning Difficulties that Come in Following Jesus"
Pastor Geoff teaches through Luke 22:31ff which is the final conversation in Luke's gospel while Jesus is with the eleven disciples still in the Upper Room after they had the Passover Meal and after Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper.
The 3 crucial lessons are:
1. Satan wants to destroy you
2. Jesus powerfully prays for you.
3. It will be a fierce ministry before you
May God write His eternal truths upon our hearts as we study God's Word, verse by verse, together.