Pastor Geoff leads the congregation through the events that transpire in the middle of the night as Jesus is tried before Caiaphas and Peter is, at the same time, outside in the courtyard -- where he will deny his Savior on three different occasions.
The events will be laid out under three headings as we go back to this scene and observe the denials of Peter and as we learn from this episode so we can walk closely with Christ, by God's grace, and for His glory.
PODCAST - The First Minute of Preaching...
1. Should GRIP the hearer's attention.
2. Should CONVEY the weightiness of the divine truth at hand.
3. Should POINT TO & prepare for the TRUTH to be delivered.
4. Should ENGAGE w/ the audience thru eye contact.
Pastor Geoff pleads with the hearers to NOT be a false disciples -- to not be a 'Judas'.
*what marked Judas?
1. Judas was WITH JESUS --- but he's now in hell
2. Judas hung with the RIGHT CROWD --- but he's now in hell
3. Judas was CALLED INTO MINISTRY --- but he's now in hell
4. Judas was A PREACHER OF THE GOSPEL -- but he's now in hell
5. Judas saw FRUIT FROM HIS GOSPEL LABORS --- but he's now in hell
6. Judas was an WITNESS OF CHRIST'S WORKS --- but he's now in hell
7. Judas was outwardly a CHRIST-FOLLOWER --- but he's now in hell
Pastor Geoff continues the verse-by-verse exposition of the Gospel of Luke and paints a full picture of this betrayal-event. All four gospels are brought together and harmonized in this sermon.
Judas is the prime example of a false disciple. What a tragedy!
What a Savior -- the Light of the world -- rejected by the world but come to seek and save that which was lost!
Pastor Geoff teaches on the type of depression often called "a-typical depression" -- and he defines what it is and provides biblical help and counsel for Christians who really find themselves struggling greatly through these times in life.
Pastor Geoff preaches on the Garden of Gethsemane narrative when our Lord agonizes in prayer just hours before the cross.
In the Garden, he pours out His soul to the Father and begs that the "cup" may pass from Him. This message focuses on the glorious Savior that we worship -- he is a suffering Savior, a praying Savior, a compassionate Savior, and a praiseworthy Savior!
And he drank the cup -- the cup of God's almighty wrath -- for His people. He quenched God's thunderous wrath aimed at sinners! He took it all for us!
Consider this text and rest in God's great love for His people!
Pastor Geoff provides biblical counseling to those who find themselves battling postpartum depression.
5 encouragements to mothers:
you can feel disconnected, hard to concentrate, tired/weary/weak, sad, not bonding with baby, feel overwhelmed.
1. CHILDBEARING is designed by God & it's good!
2. CHILDBEARING is a blessing & children are miracles from God & Gifts to us
3. CHILDBEARING comes with pain, travail & hardship as a result of the FALL (not the way God designed it)
4. CHILDBEARING (that is, motherhood) is the greatest privilege that God could ever bestow on a woman w/ child
5. CHILDBEARING is a picture of how GOD deals with His people (Hosea 11.1-4 & 1 Thess 2)
And, here are four words of biblical counseling to women struggling with these hardships:
FOCUS - on gospel, Word, truth, God's character
DEPEND - on God's grace
INVOLVE - in church
DISCIPLESHIP - a godly woman to walk thru this with you (Titus 2)
In this podcast, Pastor Geoff provides biblical counseling help & hope to believers who battle with "psychotic depression."
Here are some of the thoughts he brings out ...
In the IMMEDIATE, see a Dr and get a physical -- see what is going on physiologically.
Then, remind the sufferer of:
The CONSTANT LOVE of Christ (Rom 8 - nothing separate us from Him)
The ULTIMATE PURSUIT of Christ (2 Cor 5 - live to be pleasing to Him)
The COMING CONSUMMATION w/ Christ (2 Cor 5 - we will be brought to Him; likeness to Jesus
The PERFECT EXAMPLE of Christ (Luke 4; tempted by Satan; in the Garden, tempted; Luke 4- Satanic speaking, voices.
Let us always remember - JESUS COMBATTED THE DEVIL'S LIES WITH SCRIPTURAL TRUTH.
So what does that mean for the hurting person? What can be done to find hope in the times of trials?
1) FEAST ON SCRIPTURE
2) MEDITATE ON IT CONSTANTLY
3) PREACH TO YOUR SOUL
4) INITIATE REGULAR DISCIPLESHIP-RELATIONSHIP
5) REMEMBER CHRIST'S COMPLETED WORK (in feelings of worthlessness
"Epaphroditus: A Man who Risked His Life to Serve Christ!"
Pastor Geoff talks about "Seasonal Depression" or "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD).
What is it? What does the Bible say about how believers can cope through it and find hope in God while in it?
What can we do? Is there any hope available?
Pastor Geoff takes us to the Word & then provides 5 concluding words of exhortation to those battling SAD:
In the *SAD* seasons...
Focus on God's UNCHANGING attributes
Prioritize the Daily STUDY of Scripture
Involve yourself in REGULAR church gatherings
Journal How you RESPOND in times of struggle
Anticipate future HEAVEN that's soon-coming
"3 Crucial Lessons for You Concerning Difficulties that Come in Following Jesus"
Pastor Geoff teaches through Luke 22:31ff which is the final conversation in Luke's gospel while Jesus is with the eleven disciples still in the Upper Room after they had the Passover Meal and after Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper.
The 3 crucial lessons are:
1. Satan wants to destroy you
2. Jesus powerfully prays for you.
3. It will be a fierce ministry before you
May God write His eternal truths upon our hearts as we study God's Word, verse by verse, together.
Pastor Geoff defines what is often called "bipolar disorder" and then shows the emptiness of the world's attempts to treat the real issues. Then he shows how to biblically deal with and cope thru and endure through the very real and common struggles of life.
Where is God in our thinking? How can we persevere? How can we have joy in sorrows?
Listen to this podcast for biblical counseling help from the sufficient and authoritative Word of God.
"A Portrait of Selfless Faithfulness: Learning from Timothy"
Pastor Geoff teaches through Philippians 2:19-24 where Paul wishes to send Timothy, his trusted and faithful ministry companion, to the Philippians to encourage them and bring a report back to Paul in Rome.
Here we see 5 brushstrokes of ministry faithfulness from the character portrait of Timothy.
Let us learn and emulate the godly example of Timothy.