PODCAST - The First Minute of Preaching...
1. Should GRIP the hearer's attention.
2. Should CONVEY the weightiness of the divine truth at hand.
3. Should POINT TO & prepare for the TRUTH to be delivered.
4. Should ENGAGE w/ the audience thru eye contact.
Pastor Geoff preaches on how to prepare for and respond after the preaching of the Word. What if we asked good questions afterwards to help fellow believers apply the truth heard.
Consider these questions:
*What did God show you about Himself and His character?
*In what way did God minister His Word to you to help you in a current situation you're in?
*How did you see the reality of sin & the grace of Christ through the preached WORD?
*How did the Spirit of God use His Word to encourage you, convict you, challenge or enlighten you?
"Why We Preach Sequentially (Verse-By-Verse) Through Books of the Bible"
Pastor Geoff provides reasons why it is best -- over the long haul -- to preach through Books of the Bible verse by verse...
1) give the entirety of the Word to the people
2) preach all the doctrines
3) it's the way God communicated -- whole books
4) it helps the congregation as they know the context week by week
5) it aids the preacher as he studies & knows the background
6) it helps the congregation prepare for what's coming next week
7) God providentially brings Scriptures at the right time for the church-life & the lives of your people
Pastor Geoff recounts the ambition of his own life and how this comes from 2 Timothy 4:2 -- preach the Word!
In this audio-blog, a few remarks are mentioned concerning faithful, biblical preaching and how the goal is never to entertain people or to be novel or create some new idea. Rather, the goal is for the man of God to take God's already-revealed Word (in Scripture) and to herald it faithfully, unapologetically, and boldly to all who may be present.
A number of features come out from this text and inform us as to the mandate and duties of the minister of the gospel.